Infrared

A cople of weeks ago I dusted off my old Nikon FE and shot some Kodak HIE infrared of Skin. I finally got around to processing and scanning it and, as expected, it’s made her blonde. Infrared film does the strangest things.

Posted in Photography
Tags: , , , , ,
12 comments on “Infrared
  1. Mathew says:

@DaveMc
    PS: That one film I told you about, is even in steel container 😀

2. Mathew says:

@DaveMc
    Aha now I understand everything ,finally 🙂 If I will have success with this film I will let you know, do you have any email address 🙂 Thank you for help, nice day 🙂

3. Mathew says:

Hmm I dont have idea that it is so sensitive – as you wrote 800ISO (but I dont undestand why u set camera to 800 and meter to 200IS?)
    About light I undestand, not every source of light source has IR 🙂
    Film seems not very expensive 4,5USD with shipping till now.
    About loading in darkness I read too, but dont exactly understand why. Isnt this film in cassette as normal 35mm film or I know that even for normal film isnt good loading in hard sun, but why when there is packing, thaht light cant go through (jope u understand my english 🙂 some things are not easy for me to expain)? Tahnk you very much for help 🙂
    About your photo, maybe its light from side, but i think IR is nice misty by itself, but maybe flash helped thaht:) M

• DaveMc says:

The camera is metering through the filter which reduces the exposure by 2 stops, so you have to reduce the speed of the hand-held meter by the same amount to compensate for the filter. You’re not actually metering the infrared exposure, just using the visible light reading as a guide.

Yes, the film is in a normal cassette, but it has no anti-halation backing (that is what gives the “glowing highlights” effect) so if the leader is exposed to any light it transmits it along the length of the film like a fibre optic cable. The film cassette comes in the usual little black plastic container, but can only be taken out of that container in total darkness. Either a darkroom or a changing bag. For this reason you really have to process it yourself unless you can find a lab that knows how to handle it.

That also reminds me, if the camera uses an infrared diode to count the film sprockets rather than a mechanical wheel it will also fog the film to some degree. Most newer film cameras do this although your rangefinder is probably mechanical.

4. Mathew says:

Also I like foto very much it has misty look 🙂 want to achieve same effect 😉

5. Mathew says:

Hello 🙂 Thank you for answer, I know Hie, and want buy from ebay to try one (expiration 1970 😀 hehe ) the only thing I need to know if i buy ordinary red filter – if this filter will work (I know that it is for unfilter blue or some other light) and about exposure, what is iso for this film, dont you now (I read somewhere that 200ISo is OK) if I know ISO there is nothing more I need to know about exposure right (except of that, when I use red filter I need to corretct exposure +1EV would be enough?) I want to use it with rangefinder but in manual (batery is expensive and hard to buy). Thank you very much for your help and advices 🙂 M

• DaveMc says:

Matthew, I used to rate it at ISO 800 and used a B+W Dark Red filter (2 stops), so would set my camera to ISO 800 and my hand-held meter to ISO 200. Either way, exposure is very unpredictable, as it depends on the amount of infrared light present (and you can’t see or meter that), so I would bracket each shot 1 stop either way. Direct sunlight or flash are best, fluorescent light is useless. I processed it in T-Max for 9 minutes at 20C. I also don’t think it ages very well, so don’t pay a lot of money for it, particularly if it’s 30 years old. It might be unusable. Remember also that you need to load and unload the camera in complete darkness as you will fog the film very badly if the leader is exposed to light. Do let me know how you get on.

6. Mathew says:

Hello can I please ask you how you took photo to HIE? Did u use filter or something special. And how did u set expozition (like with normal film)? Thank you very much. I will be very grateful 🙂 thank you, nice day

• DaveMc says:

Matthew, This image was taken with Kodak HIE High Speed Infrared film through a deep red filter – the effect is due to the film though, and not the filter. The exposure was set by metering and then bracketing 1 stop either way. Unfortunately Kodak stopped making HIE film in 2007 so it is no longer available.

7. DaveMc says:

I can’t actually remember what colour her hair was, as she dyes it and changes colour quite often. The first time I shot her it was bright red. I think this time it might have been blue – there’s a Polaroid of her in the same outfit in the Alternative Processes gallery and it looks purple, but I know the colour is pretty distorted on that shot as the film was 4 years expired. I expected the heavily treated hair to be very IR reflective.

Brown hair usually renders lighter when shooting HIE, but not as light as this shot. If you compare Runed Glow and Infrared Sunshine in the Infrared gallery with Blast Radius and Dreams of Alice in the People gallery respectively you’ll see how the same model looks in infrared and visible light.

Dave

8. vera says:

The photo looks great. What color is her hair? I’m going to shoot someone with dark brown hair and I was wondering what the infrared would do to her hair..