I’ve now glued sides and the bed onto the rear standard, and after a bit of a panic about the orientation of the crossbar on the top, I’m happy that everything is lining up as it should. The holes for the focusing spindle had to be enlarged slightly with a 4mm drill, but that appears to be by design as it allows for a good friction fit. I still don’t have enough clamps.
Gluing has begun. First lesson: buy more clamps. This’ll be much quicker with more clamps.
So after many years of procrastination I’ve finally decided to get into 8×10 photography, primarily to shoot tintypes and wet plate collodion.
After hunting for a vintage or second hand modern camera on eBay for a while, I decided to go with the Bulldog 8×10 kit. Vintage cameras tend to use (by modern standards) odd plate sizes which would make finding suitable film and plate holders more difficult, and modern gear is just too expensive for my level of experience.
The Bulldog is made from laser cut MDF, but so far it looks quite promising. The bellows and focusing screen (the important bits) are good. I just need to buy some glue and clamps and decided how to finish the ‘wood.’
More posts to come as the project develops, assuming I don’t glue myself to something.
Before they were married we’d been talking about a shot of Alix and Marty, but time wasn’t on our side. So recently we managed to sort out our schedules and took this one next to Glasgow Cathedral.
It was the first outing for my Gitzo carbon fibre tripod too. A great new toy that’ll make travelling with the tripod a lot easier.
In the last couple of months I’ve been getting back into music photography. I’ve shot Je$us Loves America, Hansel und Gretyl and the Nanobots. The lighting is challenging, but low light is kinda my thing, so hopefully there will be more of this sort of thing in the future.
Despite vowing to do so I’ve not been keeping the blog here updated. Social media is the enemy to this sort of thing. So time for some catch up.
Back in July, Habs came back into the studio to model one of her own Double Crossed Clothing t-shirts. We also took a lingerie shot with her in fully fashioned stockings, something that I’ve wanted to shoot for a long time. No lasers this time, but always fun.
While editing those I found leggings shot from our last shoot that I had never properly processed. The latest version of Lightroom came to the rescue. New algorithms FTW.