Blog Archives

Taking shape

More glue

More glue

I’ve now glued sides and the bed onto the rear standard, and after a bit of a panic about the orientation of the crossbar on the top, I’m happy that everything is lining up as it should. The holes for the focusing spindle had to be enlarged slightly with a 4mm drill, but that appears to be by design as it allows for a good friction fit. I still don’t have enough clamps.  

Camera bed

Camera bed

Focusing spindle

Focusing spindle




Clamps

Bulldog-8x10-4Gluing has begun. First lesson: buy more clamps. This’ll be much quicker with more clamps.




Bulldog 8×10

Bulldog 8x10So after many years of procrastination I’ve finally decided to get into 8×10 photography, primarily to shoot tintypes and wet plate collodion.

After hunting for a vintage or second hand modern camera on eBay for a while, I decided to go with the Bulldog 8×10 kit. Vintage cameras tend to use (by modern standards) odd plate sizes which would make finding suitable film and plate holders more difficult, and modern gear is just too expensive for my level of experience.

The Bulldog is made from laser cut MDF, but so far it looks quite promising. The bellows and focusing screen (the important bits) are good. I just need to buy some glue and clamps and decided how to finish the ‘wood.’

More posts to come as the project develops, assuming I don’t glue myself to something.  

Bulldog unboxed.

Bulldog unboxed.

Bulldog parts.

Bulldog parts.